Dr. Mohan Rangaswamy is a board-certified plastic surgeon with 27 years of plastic surgery experience. He is licensed to practice in Dubai as a Consultant Plastic Surgeon and is licensed also by the more exclusive Dubai Health Care City, DHCC; he is also licensed in India as a consultant plastic surgeon. He has a wide experience in both the reconstructive and aesthetic aspects of plastic surgery, has treated patients from diverse nationalities and is therefore conversant with a number of different cultural conceptions of beauty.
He obtained his initial medical education at JIPMER, a premier institution for medical education which draws the best medical minds of India. After graduating in 1982, he continued his studies in Surgery (M.S) at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), widely considered one of India’s best teaching hospitals. Having completed studies in general surgery in 1987 he then pursued further specialization in plastic surgery from two of the leading medical institutes in India. He initially trained at AIIMS where he participated in head and neck cancer reconstruction, microsurgery and general reconstructive surgery. He was then selected to undergo an intensive two year full-time residency in plastic surgery at PGIMER, and received a MCh degree in 1992. The MCh is the highest qualification in plastic surgery offered by India and has a board certification in plastic surgery. He then obtained further experience in aesthetic surgery. Dr. Mohan became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow (FRCS) in 1998. He is a member of several national and international professional bodies and has served as invited guest faculty at a number of international conferences. He has over 40 publications and presentations in national and international meetings/journals.
He is one of the pioneers of Lipoabdominoplasty in the South Asia/Middle East region, having performed over 200 cases. Lipoabdominoplasty is a unique operation in which liposuction and a ‘tummy-tuck’ are combined, with care taken to preserve the nerve and blood supply to the operated areas. It is ideally suited for patients who have a thick layer of fat in their abdominal wall. Typically his patients are able to leave the hospital after an overnight stay, do not require drains, and are able to return to light duties in a week.
His other areas of special interest in aesthetic field are: Rhinoplasty, particularly cases in which initial surgery by others was unsatisfactory, Body contour surgery including body lifts, breast surgeries and fat grafting. He is comfortable with both closed and open methods of Rhinoplasty and has been invited to talk on this topic at many plastic surgery meetings. In the area of breast aesthetic surgery, he has significant experience with short scar breast reductions and with ‘body-logic’ driven natural breast augmentations. He has also been active in the field of fat grafting since 2002 being one of the first surgeons in this region to adopt the new concepts of micro-fat grafting with PRP (platelet rich plasma), a technique which harvests the body’s own fat cells, stem cells and growth factors to rejuvenate the deflated tissues. Dr. Mohan uses fat grafts in a variety of areas; for instance, he combines short scar face-lifts with such fat-PRP technology to give enhanced results. He is using fat graft for natural breast enhancement without implants (selected cases only) using the BRAVA device. Fat grafts are also used along with other techniques in genital rejuvenation; either alone or as part of a comprehensive ‘mommy makeover‘ procedure.
For his male patients, he offers nearly scar-less correction of gynecomastia by operating only through the nipple -areola, male rejuvenation surgeries, mini-face lifts, liposculpture and a number of other procedures.
He is trained in laser technology and offers laser therapies (both fractional and non-fractional) for acne marks, uneven pigmentation, wrinkles, age spots etc on the face using the advanced Fotona Erbium Laser. He is also very experienced in Radiosurgery using Radiofrequency device for various skin conditions. He uses this for gentle rejuvenation, blepharoplasty and face lifts; resulting in faster healing and less bleeding/bruising.
As a plastic surgeon Dr. Mohan is fully trained in all aspects of reconstructive surgery including microsurgery, hand surgery and maxillofacial surgery. His department deals with all types of reconstructive problems such as birth defects, tissue loss, burns, non-healing wounds and a variety of issues with form and function. He runs an active hand surgery service in which severely damaged hands are repaired and restored.
Dr. Mohan has a keen eye for details and what many describe as skilled hands. He seeks ways to continuously improve his results and push the barriers while simultaneously respecting patient safety. His expertise in reconstructive surgery, wound healing, endoscopic surgery and wide background knowledge of other surgical disciplines makes him a much sought-after surgeon to fix difficult surgical problems.
In addition to plastic and reconstructive work, Dr. Mohan was also part of the Kidney Transplant team of AIIMS, India. In recognition of this, he was also invited to be a part of the Kidney Transplant team in Sultanate of Oman between 1994 and 2001. This association gave him a unique opportunity to gain experience in making vascular access fistulae for renal failure patients. He therefore also offers vascular access service in his practice. This is aimed at dialysis patients and at patients requiring cancer chemotherapy [placement of access ports].
Surgical Facility & Affiliation:
Dr. Mohan Rangaswamy is a Consultant Plastic Surgeon at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Hospital, a comprehensive plastic & cosmetic facility in Dubai Health Care City, U.A.E. In addition he has admitting privileges at Medcare Ortho & Spine Hospital [M.O.S.H], Al Zahra Private Hospital and at the Al Zahra Hospital Dubai. All the facilities are fully accredited and are conveniently located across the length of Dubai.
MBBS, MS, Diplomate of National Board of Medical Specialties, FRCS, MCh (Plastic Surgery)
He is an active member of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India (APSI), the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS – international member), Indian Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (IAAPS), International Society of Aesthetic Plastic surgeons (ISAPS), Indian Society for Surgery of Hand (ISSH), Indian Society of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (ISFPRS) and Swiss AO-CMF Society.
Publications are scientific articles published by the doctor/group in professional journals. These articles go through a rigorous peer-review process before getting accepted for publication. They usually represent some novelty in thought, experience or technique or may be a useful review of the knowledge on the subject thus far.
- “Effect of Lugol’s Iodine Therapy on the vascularity of the Toxic Goitre-Assessment by Tc-99pertechnetate study”, Mohan Rangaswamy. Thesis submitted to the dean of the AIIMS in accordance with the requirements for the award of M.S. degree.
- Rangaswamy M, Padhy AK, Gopinath PG, et al. Effect of Lugol’s iodine on the vascularity of thyroid gland in hyperthyroidism. Nuclear Medicine Communications. 1989; 10:679-684.
- Prasad ML, Rangaswamy M, Kumar N, Shukla NK. Papillary carcinoma of thyroglossal duct remnant with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Ear Nose and Throat Journal. 1990; 69:350-360.
- Singh VP, Jain D, Mohan R, et al. Haemostatic abnormalities in Brain tumours. Acta Neurochirurgica (Wien). 1990; 102: 103-107.
- Seenu V, Goel AK, Shukla NK, Prakash MB, Mohan R. Malignant Chondroid Syringoma of Scalp with cervical lymph node metastasis. J. Assoc Physicians India. 1996; 44: 565-6.
- Rangaswamy M. An inexpensive cannula for injection of tumescent mixtures for liposuction. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 1999; 103: 2090-91.
- Ganesh A, Rangaswamy M. Pedunculated dermolipoma with overlying upper lid coloboma and absent lateral canthus: cause and effect? Eye 1999; 14: 687-89.
- Rangaswamy M, Machado NO, Kaur S et al. Laparoscopic Vaginoplasty: a procedure for the surgical correction of complete vaginal agenesis using a sliding peritoneal flap. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology,2001; 98: 244-248 9.
- Rangaswamy M. Necrotizing fasciitis: a 10-year retrospective study of cases in a single university hospital in Oman. Acta Tropica. 2001;80: 169-175
- Rangaswamy M. The tummy Tuck with a difference. Middle East Health May 2005
- Mallappa M, Rangaswamy M, Badiuddin F. Small Intestinal Perforation and Peritonitis After Liposuction – a case report with review of literature: Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Vol. 31, No. 5. (October 2007), pp. 589-592.
- Rangaswamy M. Lipoabdominoplasty: A versatile and safe technique for abdominal contouring. Indian J Plast Surg 2008;41:48-55
- Mohan Rangaswamy. Minimising complications in abdominoplasty: An approach based on the root cause analysis and focused preventive steps. Indian J Plast Surg 2013; 46 (2): 365-376
As Guest Faculty at National / International meetings
Dr. Mohan Rangaswamy is invited to deliver guest lectures or procedure videos. Listed below are some of the meetings at which he has been a guest faculty or invited speaker.
- Guest speaker at the Ophthalmic Panorama, 12 October 2000 at SQU, Muscat, Oman. Talk on surgery for multi recurrent entropion-trichiasis due to Trachoma – use of oral mucosal grafting.
- Guest speaker at the MEPLAST 2004, during Arab Health Congress, Dubai U.A.E
- Ophthalmic Forum Dubai 2005-Talk on orbit and Peri-orbit surgery.
- Guest faculty at annual meeting of Indian Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, Ludhiana, 2006, paper on Lipo-Abdominoplasty
- Guest faculty at AESURG2006, Kolkata, India Presented lectures on Lipoabdominoplasty technique, rhinoplasty and Vertical Scar Reduction Mammaplasty among others. Participated in the Rhinoplasty and Facial Aesthetic surgery workshop.
- Guest faculty at the 2nd International CME on Aesthetic surgery, 2007 Mumbai, India: lectured on LipoAbdominoplasty –enhanced safety with improved results, was judged the best paper.
- Guest Speaker at the 3rd International CME on Aesthetic surgery, 2008 Mumbai, India
- Guest faculty at the Golden Jubilee APSICON, Varanasi, India 2008.
- Guest speaker at the Smith and Nephew wound management day, Dubai 2009.
- Guest Faculty at the UAE medical students day. Mentor at the suturing course and delivered lectures on wound management and dressings.
- Guest Faculty at the 5th ITAPS Mumbai 2010, held a Master class and operative demonstration of Liposabdominoplasty
- Invited Speaker at the APSICON meeting, 25-29th October, Goa 2010 for the section ‘Indian Diaspora’- delivered a talk on rhinoplasty.
- Invited speaker at the 6th ITAPS, New Delhi January 2011. Delivered lectures on abdominoplasty, rhinoplasty, fat grafting and scar-less gynecomastia Correction.
- Invited faculty at the 5th ISFPRS meet at Kumarakom, Kochi 2011- guest lecture on ‘Analysis and Planning in Rhinoplasty’. Delivered lectures on advances in fat grafting and treatment of advanced craniofacial neurofibromatosis.
Presentation and courses
See a list of Professional presentations made by Dr. Mohan Rangaswamy at national and international level meetings. These ‘papers’ go through a selection process by a scientific committee before getting acceptance for presentation at the medical meetings. They allow individuals/group of doctors to present their studies, experiences and newer findings to the audience of their peers. The papers represent significance in terms of novelty, body of experience or some unique aspects which make them worthwhile.
- Rangaswamy M, Padhy AK, Gopinath PG, et al. The use of stable iodine in the preoperative preparation of toxic thyroid glands. Presented at the 3rd Asia and Oceania Thyroid Association Meeting, Bangkok, Thailand, Dec. 5-6,1986.
- Rangaswamy M, Khazanchi RK, Saxena RK, et al. Use of Pectoralis major flaps in Head and Neck Reconstruction. Presented at the Association of Surgeons of India annual meeting, New Delhi, India, Oct.14-15,1989.
- Rangaswamy M, Shukla NK, Khazanchi RK, et al. Management of advanced buccal mucosal carcinoma, a prospective study of two treatment protocols. Presented at the Association of Surgeons of India, annual meeting, New Delhi, India, Oct.14-15, 1989.
- Khazanchi RK, Rangaswamy M, Chaturvedi G, et al. Composite tissue transfers using microsurgical techniques. Presented at the Association of Surgeons of India, annual meeting, New Delhi, India, Oct.14-15,1989.
- Khazanchi RK, Rangaswamy M, Lal R, et al. Re-implantation of amputated parts in children. Presented at the Association of Surgeons of India, annual meeting, New Delhi, India, Oct.14-15, 1989.
- Mehta SN, Dhawan IK, Saxena RK, Rangaswamy M, et al. Kidney transplantation from live related donors with multiple vessels. Presented at the Association of Surgeons of India, annual meeting, New Delhi, India, Oct.14-15, 1989.
- Rangaswamy M, Gauer JM, Daar AS, et al. PTFE thoracic loop A-V fistula: a backup for chronic vascular access. Presented at the International symposium on vascular access for renal patients, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, April 2-3, 1996.
- Gauer JM, Rangaswamy M, Daar AS, et al. Experience with the snuffbox type of A V fistula for ESRD at the SQUH. Presented at the International symposium on vascular access for renal patients, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, April 2-3,1996.
- Mohsin N, Busaidy Q, Arafati H, Marhuby H, Rangaswamy M, Daar AS. 35-week gestation human kidneys are capable of growth and development after transplantation. Presented at the 2nd International Congress on Paediatric Transplantation, Paris, France, Aug.23-24,1996
- Schweitzer W, Barras JP, Jarah AM, Rangaswamy M, et al. Incorrectly positioned Roux-en-Y loop as a reason for repetitive cholangitis in bilio-digestive anastomosis. Presented at the Swiss Surgical Society, Jun.6-8, 1996.
- Schweitzer W, Rangaswamy M, Gauer JM, Ali MB, Daar S, Daar AS. Primar Orale Immunosuppression in einem Lebenspendemieren-Transplantationsprogramme. (Primary oral immunosupression in living related donor kidney transplantation programme) Presented at the meeting of Union des societes Chirurgicales Suisses, Lausanne, Switzerland, June 24-27, 1999
- Rangaswamy M, Machado N, Machado L, Kaur S. Laparoscopic Vaginoplasty: the first case report in the world. Presented at the scientific poster session of the Sultan Qaboos University, Feb. 7, 2000.
- Selvakumaran S, Rangaswamy M, Luon A, Dennison D. Hickman Catheters-A necessary evil. Presented at the scientific poster session of the Sultan Qaboos University, Feb. 7, 2000.
- Rangaswamy M. Ten Year Retrospective Study of Necrotizing Fasciitis Diagnosed in a Single University Hospital in Oman. Presented at the 1st International Congress on Infectious & Tropical Disaeses, Muscat, Oman, 27-30 March, 2000.
- Rangaswamy M. Surgical correction of recurrent entropion-trichiasis due to Trachoma – use of oral mucosal grafting. Presented at the Ophthalmic Panorama, 12 October 2000.
- Rangaswamy M. Lipoabdominoplasty. Presented at the MEPLAST 2004,During Arab Health Congress, Dubai U.A.E
- Rangaswamy M. Work-sheet Approach to Rhinoplasty. Presented at the MEPLAST 2004, during Arab Health Congress, Dubai U.A.E
- Orbital and Peri-orbital Surgery, invited talk at the ophthalmic Forum meeting of Dubai, 2005
- Paper on non-burn used of MEBO at the 35th Annual meeting of the Egyptian Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons, held at Aswan, Egypt 15-18 Feb2005.
- ‘Rare but deadly’- a presentation of Necrotizing fasciitis-CME lecture delivered at Welcare hospital CME program
- Lipoabdominoplsty a new operation. Presented at the Annual meeting of Indian Association of Aesthetic Plastic surgeons at Ludhiana, November 2005.
- Vertical scar reduction Mammaplasty: Evolution, variations and experience with the supero-medial pedicle technique. Guest speaker at the AESURG meeting at Kolkata, India 2-3 April
- Lipoabdominoplasty: Routine use of liposuction with abdominoplasty, enhanced results with improved safety. Guest speaker at AESURG meeting at Kolkata, India 2-3 April 2006.
- Lipoabdominoplasty: Routine use of liposuction with abdominoplasty, enhanced results with improved safety in 102 consecutive cases. Presented at the second international tutorials (ideas and innovations) in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ITAPS, 10 – 14 January 2007, Mumbai, India, judged best paper.
- Video on Contemporary Lipoabdominoplasty, Golden Jubilee APSICON, Varanasi, India 2008.
- Analysis and Planning in Rhinoplasty, APSICON Varanasi 2008.
- Clinical Experience with NPWT in difficult cases, presented at the Smith and Nephew wound management day, Dubai 2009.
- Poster presentation on the value of negative pressure wound therapy, presented at the European Wound management (EWMA) meeting at Helsinki, Finland, 20-22 May 2009.
- “Management of challenging wounds using VAC / NPWT therapies – the Welcare experience”. Oral presentation at the Abu Dhabi plastic surgeons forum meeting, 2009.
- Female genital Rejuvenation, invited lecture at the 5th Tutorials in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Mumbai 2010.
- Master class and operative demonstration of Lipoabdominoplasty at the 5th ITAPS Mumbai 2010.
- The inverted V deformity in Rhinoplasty and its correction – presented at the difficult rhinoplasty session of ITAPS, Mumbai 2010
- Guest Speaker of the Tamil Doctors Forum of UAE, 2010. Delivered a lecture “ A peek into plastic Surgeons’ work” – introduction to the spectrum of plastic surgery.
- Invited Speaker at the APSICON meeting, 25-29th October, Goa 2010 for the section ‘Indian Diaspora’delivered a talk on rhinoplasty.
- Presented invited Video on lipoabdominoplasty, APSICON meeting, 25-29th October, Goa 2010.
- Presented a paper on ‘shoulder reconstruction by component analysis’ at APSICON meeting, 25-29th October, Goa 2010.
- Presented a paper on ‘surgical Algorithm for Severe Chronic Hidradenitis’ at APSICON meeting, 25-29th October, Goa 2010.
- ‘Gynecomastia correction, leave no trace’ presented at the 6th ITAPS, New Delhi January 2011.
- Female genital rejuvenation presented at the 6th ITAPS, New Delhi January 2011.
- Analysis and Planning of a Rhinoplasty with newer advances 6th ITAPS, New Delhi January 2011.
- Lipoabdominoplasty-detailed video presentation of technique 6th ITAPS, New Delhi January 2011.
- Invited faculty at the 5th ISFPRS meet at Kumarakom, Kochi 2011- guest lecture on Analysis and Planning in Rhinoplasty.
- Presented a paper on newer advances in management of cranio-facial neurofibromatosis at 5th ISFPRS meet at Kumarakom, Kochi 2011.
- Presented a paper on fat grafting with Platelet Rich plasma at 5th ISFPRS meet at Kumarakom, Kochi 2011.
- “First case of total shoulder reconstruction in war injury by combined biological and prosthetic techniques: outcome after 6 years.” Presented at Triennial Congress of the IFSSH & IFSHT, 4 -8 March 2013, New Delhi.
- Microfat Grafting with Autologous PRP: Techniques & Advantages. Presented at Dubai Derma 2013, 16-18April, Dubai.
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Reconstructive plastic surgery: an overview with emphasis on interactions with other specialties’ at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Hospital CME series, 24 April, 2013, Dubai.
- Dr. Mohan Rangaswamy – Innovative reconstruction of shoulder in a war injury victim using a combination of prosthetic and biological techniques- a case report. Presented at the EMA-PSS meet 25th April 2013.
- Inflation can sometimes be very useful: Role of induced Pneumoperitoneum in the management of very large ventral hernias. Presented at the EMA-PSS meet 24 Feb 2014, Dubai.
- Laparoscopic Peritoneal Neo-vaginoplasty in Vaginal Agenesis: A review of vaginal reconstructive techniques and the advantages of the laparoscopic peritoneal neo-vaginoplasty. Presented at the EMA-PSS meet 27th May 2014.
Courses attended [significant ones only]
In addition to attending regular continuing medical education (CME) meetings and conferences, Dr. Mohan Rangaswamy has attended advanced courses focussed on specific skills or techniques. These help the surgeon to learn new skills, Knowledge & techniques and to hone existing ones better. Listed below are some significant ones.
- Course on RFAL, 1st August 2011, Lebanon consucted by Dr. Mulholland.
- Laser Course 2011, organized by SULTARC, Sharjah UAE.
- Training course on Easylift threads and related products: April 2011 by Dr. Ciro Accaro, Dubai.
- Workshop on Laparoscopic Inguinal hernia 10th December 2010 in Dubai.
- SCULPTRA training course Dubai 2010
- Wound Care updates at the European Academy of Wound Technology program 22-23rd May 2010 held in Dubai.
- 15th World Congress of the IPRAS 29th Nov-3rd Dec, 2009 at New Delhi
- AOAA UAE Chapter Symposium on Advanced Hand and Wrist Surgery, 7 June, 2009 at Dubai, UAE
- European Wound management Association meeting 20-22 May, 2009 at Helsinki, Finland.
- Laser congress and Hands-on course 23-26th March 2009.
- 4th MEPLAST meeting 23-26 March, 2009 at Dubai, UAE
- Updates in injection of Dermal fillers and Remake, Course on 17th Feb, 2009 at Dubai UAE
- AO CMF Orthognathic course 19-22 Jan, 2009 at Dharwad, India
- AO CMF Craniomaxillary principles course Conducted by AO foundation 2-4 Nov,2008 at Chennai, India
- AOAA UAE Chapter Seminar on advances in Maxillofacial surgery, 6th Mar, 2008 at Sharjah, UAE.
- Training course on REMAKE dermal filler 2009, Dubai.
- Complete Laser course at the Laser workshop held at 4th MEPLAST March 23-26, 2009 in Dubai, UAE.
- Course on use of Remake filler 16th Feb, 2008 at Dubai, UAE.
- 3rd International Aesthetic CME, Jan, 2008 at Mumbai, India.
- Training on ENDOTINE devices 2007, Dubai.
- Laser Lipolysis training course on Smartlipo machine April 2004.
- AOAA UAE chapter, Advanced methods in Facial Reconstruction Seminar & workshop, Feb 2007
- Evidence Based Healthcare in Every day practice EBM course endorsed by Harvard Medical School Dubai Center, Nov 24, 2006.
- INTEGRA Course at SKMC, Abudhabi, June 07, 2006
- Training on the practical and theoretical aspects of the VASCULIGHT System of IPL & Laser April 5-6, 2006
- Contour threadlift-Skills Transfer Course Feb 23, 2006.
- Radiesse Course Dubai Derma April 2006
- 1st Middle East wound congress Arab Health 2005
- ISAPS course November 2004, Jaipur, in India.
- 3rd MEPLAST 2004, Dubai UAE.
- Dubai Derma workshop of hair transplantation 2004
- International Breast Symposium Feb 17-19th 2001, Kuwait.
- 7th Pan Arab plastic surgery meeting, Jordan Amman, 2001.
- ISAPS course Lebanon April 19-21, 2001.